Being Human - Part 3 of 4
EXT. STU’S OFFICE - DAY
We follow Stu walking. Music. He meets up with a group.
A lunch group are hanging around, chatting. Work colleagues - a girl, a guy and Stu. The Guy and Girl are making small chat over eating lunch;
GIRL 1
I really liked the media guy’s presentation today. They do have a fantastic magazine. And it totally fits what we’re trying to do...
GUY 1
Its definitely an interesting one. The only thing that worries me is that it might be angling a little young. I saw some of the stories in the last issue... I mean... c’mon... ‘How to put on your first condom?!’
Stu is milling around his food. His mind’s elsewhere;
GIRL 1
I just think it would be good to give them a go.
STUART
You would.
GUY 1
Snap from the blue corner!
GIRL 1
Whoa there cowboy. Where’d that come from?
STUART
The guy was fucking incompetent.
He was a complete hack: “roundabout” circulation of 120,000. I mean... what the fuck does that mean?! When was the last time you spent money on an unaudited magazine?
Anyway, you’re just a little hot under the skirt from that stupid fucking laugh he had.
GIRL 1
You are so totally out of order right now Stu.
STUART
That’s cute coming from you.
GUY 1
Hey... c’mon... take it easy there big guy.
STUART
Fucken lightweights.
[he slams his lunch down and storms out]
EXT. STREET - DAY
He has left the office and is walking – lost in a world of anger that is obviously consuming him. On auto-pilot, walks to the scene - Stuart walks past the Ringleader of the gang, who just looked straight through Stuart like he wasn’t even there.
Right then Stuart knows the guy must pay.
Cut to:
INT. EMMA’S SISTER’S HOUSE - DAY
EMMA
Just thought I’d come and get the suitcases. Did they work out ok?
ALICE
Yeah Steve loved the whole multi zip, multi gadget thing. I could’ve brought those over next week.
EMMA
Its cool. It was on the way now anyway so I just...
[Alice can see that something’s on Emma’s mind. She grabs the kettle;]
ALICE
What?
[beat]
We just became sisters yesterday ?
What’s up?
EMMA
[defensively]
Nothing’s... “up”...
ALICE
Come on. Miss never-has-a-free-minute-ever-but-can-now-suddenly-spare-time-to-pick-up-some-stupid-suitcase?
BEAT, then eventually;
EMMA
[still trying to defend and then hangs her head in surrender]
The other night Stu and I were at the grocery store on Roslyn. We come out and there’s this bunch of guys. Just trouble makers. Complete losers… but one jumped out and said “Hey Baby” and stood close. Stu tried to push the guy off me and another one of them grabbed Stu.
ALICE
Emma.
EMMA
It was seriously nothing. I mean it was literally all over in a flash.
ALICE
My god Emma...! Why didn’t you tell me about this? Did you report it?
EMMA
It was seriously no big deal.
ALICE
Well did he touch you?
EMMA
Just on my arm.
ALICE
That little fuck!
How’s Stu?
EMMA
Alice, I’ve never seen him like this. He is like a caged animal. He just can’t let it go.
ALICE
Oh honey… [comforting – long pause before compsure for the talk]
listen… I’ve been living with steve for ooooh 8 years and you think you know these guys inside out. But let me make a comparison for this situation. Remember when you and I were in the park last week and that little girl was playing 100 metres from the road?
EMMA
Yeah
ALICE
Well you and I couldn’t concentrate on a word we were saying because even though it would have taken that little girl 5 minutes to get to the road, we were on the edge of our chairs ready to jump up if she made a move... for girls its called maternal instinct.
[beat]
I’ve seen this before in Gavin. Most people have seen our brother as the most laid back person in the world. But this one time when you were about 3 years old, a bigger kid threw a ball and it hit you straight in the head. It was an accident but instead of apologising, he laughed with his mates. So Gavin hit this kid with a stick. Hard. He needed stitches. We were all in shock.
EMMA
Jesus...
ALICE
Look, all I am saying is... keep an eye on him because there’s certain primal instincts in a man that can just... come out...
A worried look on Emma’s face;
We follow Stu walking. Music. He meets up with a group.
A lunch group are hanging around, chatting. Work colleagues - a girl, a guy and Stu. The Guy and Girl are making small chat over eating lunch;
GIRL 1
I really liked the media guy’s presentation today. They do have a fantastic magazine. And it totally fits what we’re trying to do...
GUY 1
Its definitely an interesting one. The only thing that worries me is that it might be angling a little young. I saw some of the stories in the last issue... I mean... c’mon... ‘How to put on your first condom?!’
Stu is milling around his food. His mind’s elsewhere;
GIRL 1
I just think it would be good to give them a go.
STUART
You would.
GUY 1
Snap from the blue corner!
GIRL 1
Whoa there cowboy. Where’d that come from?
STUART
The guy was fucking incompetent.
He was a complete hack: “roundabout” circulation of 120,000. I mean... what the fuck does that mean?! When was the last time you spent money on an unaudited magazine?
Anyway, you’re just a little hot under the skirt from that stupid fucking laugh he had.
GIRL 1
You are so totally out of order right now Stu.
STUART
That’s cute coming from you.
GUY 1
Hey... c’mon... take it easy there big guy.
STUART
Fucken lightweights.
[he slams his lunch down and storms out]
EXT. STREET - DAY
He has left the office and is walking – lost in a world of anger that is obviously consuming him. On auto-pilot, walks to the scene - Stuart walks past the Ringleader of the gang, who just looked straight through Stuart like he wasn’t even there.
Right then Stuart knows the guy must pay.
Cut to:
INT. EMMA’S SISTER’S HOUSE - DAY
EMMA
Just thought I’d come and get the suitcases. Did they work out ok?
ALICE
Yeah Steve loved the whole multi zip, multi gadget thing. I could’ve brought those over next week.
EMMA
Its cool. It was on the way now anyway so I just...
[Alice can see that something’s on Emma’s mind. She grabs the kettle;]
ALICE
What?
[beat]
We just became sisters yesterday ?
What’s up?
EMMA
[defensively]
Nothing’s... “up”...
ALICE
Come on. Miss never-has-a-free-minute-ever-but-can-now-suddenly-spare-time-to-pick-up-some-stupid-suitcase?
BEAT, then eventually;
EMMA
[still trying to defend and then hangs her head in surrender]
The other night Stu and I were at the grocery store on Roslyn. We come out and there’s this bunch of guys. Just trouble makers. Complete losers… but one jumped out and said “Hey Baby” and stood close. Stu tried to push the guy off me and another one of them grabbed Stu.
ALICE
Emma.
EMMA
It was seriously nothing. I mean it was literally all over in a flash.
ALICE
My god Emma...! Why didn’t you tell me about this? Did you report it?
EMMA
It was seriously no big deal.
ALICE
Well did he touch you?
EMMA
Just on my arm.
ALICE
That little fuck!
How’s Stu?
EMMA
Alice, I’ve never seen him like this. He is like a caged animal. He just can’t let it go.
ALICE
Oh honey… [comforting – long pause before compsure for the talk]
listen… I’ve been living with steve for ooooh 8 years and you think you know these guys inside out. But let me make a comparison for this situation. Remember when you and I were in the park last week and that little girl was playing 100 metres from the road?
EMMA
Yeah
ALICE
Well you and I couldn’t concentrate on a word we were saying because even though it would have taken that little girl 5 minutes to get to the road, we were on the edge of our chairs ready to jump up if she made a move... for girls its called maternal instinct.
[beat]
I’ve seen this before in Gavin. Most people have seen our brother as the most laid back person in the world. But this one time when you were about 3 years old, a bigger kid threw a ball and it hit you straight in the head. It was an accident but instead of apologising, he laughed with his mates. So Gavin hit this kid with a stick. Hard. He needed stitches. We were all in shock.
EMMA
Jesus...
ALICE
Look, all I am saying is... keep an eye on him because there’s certain primal instincts in a man that can just... come out...
A worried look on Emma’s face;

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home