Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Some things change... Some things stay the same...

When me and my mates were of university age we would always end up back in the "area" after a night out. We all lived within a few minutes walk of each other and the few of the boys who lived a little further away would stay at one of our places.

So, what would usually happen is that we would get dropped off by taxi at Quix - like a 7-11 - and get Gorilla Dogs and cover it in this cheese sauce they had. Then we would usually steal the cheese sauce bottle.

We had this common trait. We would take things. Anything. A fallen tree, a crate of milk. HA! That just reminded me of the night when we took 2 crates of milk from this truck that was stocking up Quix. 5 of us walked through our suburb and put a nice neighbourly litre of milk at doorsteps or leaning against someone's driver car door. Just in case they wanted a little sip on the way to work. About 5 minutes into the journey, Teddy found a porn magazine in the crate. Teddy being the Jim Morrison of our group felt like he had committed a crime against the working man. So, he convinced us to all go back. So there we are doing a running dash past the truck - just to throw the porn mag back in the truck - I kinda agreed with Teddy - we were robbing this man of a little 4am joy. He was probably thinking, 'yeah this is going to be a tough shift but if I have a hot cup of coffee and a flick through this mag, I could get through it.' We were leaving him alone, at 4am, in a milk truck with just a coffee. The visual was heartbreaking.

My point is that our specialty was roadwork items and street signs. To a point where some mornings whom ever was crashing over - and i - would wake up jammed up against the walls of my bedroom because of the sheer amount of road blocks, stop signs, barriers and hard hats.

So, anyway... last night I was out with a few guys in New York. Got out of taxi, grabbed something to eat. Out the corner of my eye I see someone quickly run off. Sudden movement grabbed my eye. I am kinda walking that way anyway. As I get closer its a roadworks site on the side of Park Avenue. I get closer and realize that this guys had drawn a big face on one of the construction pieces there. It is awesome. So I stood by it for a while to see of the guy was going to come back. Badically casing it out. As you do at 1am on your own. The thing is about 7 foot high, heavy and I am 4 blocks from home.

Of course I finished my pizza and then put this thing on my back. It took me about an hour to get 4 blocks. It was -3 celcius. So, this morning I woke up the same way I would wake up during uni days... With a big bloody thing from the street.

This is where some things change and some things stay the same.

the face

3 Comments:

Blogger Jayson Egan said...

You forgot to mention that we sometimes didn't pay for the taxi's on the way home......running through the park with the cab driver chasing always provided enjoyment.

12:44 PM  
Blogger TTB said...

I think I also forgot to mention the funniest night of my life when we did a runner and Peter started running while I still had my seat belt on and a banged up ankle... and then when I got out I yelled "he's got a gun.. gun!" and to hear that squeal out of Peter was the funniest thing I had ever heard.

9:06 AM  
Blogger TTB said...

sev leven over here has this cheese nacho sauce. total cholesterol packed i am sure.. but i add it on my late night hot dog and it brings back some memories.

spewing they didnt give us permission to shoot the b grade horror in there. i reckon a chainsaw (not turned on) and an axe (not sharp) and a rifle (decorative antique that had never shot a bullet) would have brought some sort of artistic flair to the bright yellows they had used.

broey... find those films!!!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home